Thursday, February 13, 2014

Rowan Ryan, you are so worth it

**I'm just going to warn you. It's 4am, so this post may be slightly more sarcastic than my usual.

Right now I am about chest eyeball deep in the baby do's and don'ts . For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about let me enlighten you. Or maybe there are some of you who are choosing to block this terrible confusing time period out of your life. If this is you, let me remind you. :)

The other day after I took Rowan to the doctor I was explaining to Eric how confusing doctors advice can be during the newborn years of a child's life. For example one piece of advice he so kindly gave.

My question: When do I need to give him more formula? (That's a good question, right?)
His response: Oh this is an easy one to answer. He'll let you know when he wants more. Insert my sleep deprived glare at the doctor and jaw dropping, "seriously, that didn't answer my question at all" look. Last time I checked Rowan doesn't talk, so how is he going to "let me know"? Oh you mean by his crying? Well, that's going to be a little difficult because little man cries about 18 out of 24 hours. Guess that means he's REALLY hungry.

Some of the other very helpful (not really) things I've read lately are all the differing opinions of techniques and theories on how to properly care for your newborn. Here are a few examples.

1. Don't let your baby cry. If you do, your child will possibly loose part of their brain development, have ADHD as a child and not bond with you. VS. Let your child cry. This will allow them to self soothe and be happier babies overall. You on the other hand may loose your mind from their crying, but at least they'll eventually be sleeping through the night.

2. Don't lay your baby on their stomach. This will cause them to suffocate and possibly die. VS. Babies should spend most of the day on their bellies. This is great for muscle development and the shaping of their head.

3. Don't swaddle your baby. They need space to  stretch out and use their muscles. How would you like to be confined 24 hours a day. VS. Make sure to swaddle your baby. They need a barrier that prevents them from shredding their face with their newborn razor sharp nails.

4. Don't overfeed your baby. VS. You can't overfeed the baby. Forget their GIANT stomach, they will let you know when they are done eating. Okay, I've mentioned this twice. Obviously, you can tell this is something I still just don't get.

5. Don't hold your baby for too long. This will cause your baby to become totally dependent on you and turn into the adult child. You know, the one who lives in their parents basement. VS. You can't hold your baby too much. This is how you bond with your child and they need to feel comforted by your touch. Forget the fact that you can't get anything done. So go ahead and clear your schedule for the next 3 years because you are considered BUSY.

So in all seriousness now some of the best advice that I got before we had Marlee came from my sweet college roommate, Annie. She said, "A lot of people are going to give you their opinions whether you want them or not. So, just take some and leave some. Your the mom and you know what's best for your baby and family".

Well, some how 1:30am turned into 4am, so like everyone says, I should probably go sleep while the baby sleeps. Or maybe not. Maybe I should stay awake when he sleeps so that I can watch his every move and start learning his sleep behaviors which will help me further on down the road. Grr... I think I'll sleep.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Great thoughts. I love the sarcasm! The best advice I read when my kids were babies was... don't take it personally. As in when your kid is up all night crying and nothing seems to comfort him, don't take it personally. I don't know, it seemed like a really common sense type of thing, but I read it at a time I really needed it. Also, the advice of sleep when baby is sleeping.. I've decided I will continue to do that until my kids move out of the house. :)

Annie Croft said...

LOL! Not to laugh at your hardships or anything...but that was a funny discourse. Hang in there! We love you guys!!

Mom said...

You are so funny Shelly! So that we know your REAL feelings, ha, ha, ha, you are going to have to write more blogs between 1 - 4 AM. :)

My best advice for raising kids came from your Dad's grandma, your Great Grandma Catherine Sheets. She told me, "Relax and care for your baby the way you think is best, and don't worry about anybody's advice!" :)

Happy Valentine's Day! Dad and I are thankful when we think of how God has blessed your family with Rowan & Marlee.

Love ya, Mom