Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Eternity

This Christmas we are staying home. We've decided we're going to make this a every other year tradition. Partially because of the amount of traveling but even more so because we really want to slow down and start making our own Christmas traditions.

I wanted to share with you all ANOTHER sermon that I listened to. I know, I know, when do I have time to listen to all these sermons. It's a lovely time called N A P T I M E. Literally, one of my favorite parts of the day. 


This sermon is from The Village Church. Here is the link to the actual sermon. A History of Darkness and Depravity. It hit home with me this last week when I listened because I've felt what they've described. Actually, I've felt it after every Christmas.


The feeling of discontentment. The feeling of "that's it"?

 Around this time of year our media tells us that if we just get this one item or if we just buy this one item for this person, then we will have true joy. It creates this false since of hope. Why? Because it doesn't last. It's temporary. 


" He has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end."
Ecclesiastes 3:11b

Did you catch that. He PUT eternity into my heart. He created me with a longing for something more. Something that can't be satisfied by buying a gift for myself or someone else. Something that can't be satisfied by starting traditions or spending time with friends and family. This is something that only He can fill. 

It's encouraging to look back and see the discontentment that I've felt over the years, I can see that my soul is on track. It's longing for something greater. I have yet to be satisfied with earthly pleasure. Even though I've thought if I could just get this, then I'll be happy. It's never lasted! I've ultimately been dissatisfied. Longing for something greater. 

I always think it's so awesome to read verses like this that were written thousands of years ago and see just how true they are. This is SO relevant. Maybe even more so then it was back then. Thank the LORD for His Word. 

I wanted to leave you with this quote from C.S. Lewis that Pastor Matt quoted in his sermon. 


"If I find in myself desires
 which nothing in this world can 
satisfy,the only logical explanation
 is that I was made for another world." 









3 comments:

Mom said...

So well said. I believe the "after Christmas feeling" of let down is just a reminder that "the things we get, presents, food and even family time, does not compare to our time with Him, the holy present, Jesus Christ birth, which was a gift from God to us, and our everlasting, eternal home, heaven.

Wow...that was a l-o-n-g sentence.

Love ya,
Mom

Beth said...

Thank you for that reminder. For several years now we only buy gifts for the kids because we know that being with the family and spending time with them is far more important than any earthly gift I could ever receive. The gift I look forward to is not in this world, but in one day seeing my Heavenly Father, Jesus face to face and being able to be reunited with my earthly father which he is spending his first Christmas with Jesus this year.

Laura Mayfield said...

Love this post, so true!!!!!