Friday, December 27, 2013

Wendi Lynn


 This is the third time I've sat down to write this post. Each time it's just been too hard. I've had to get up every time because I couldn't see through the tears. Today while reading a book about breaking the bondage of destructive eating habits, I couldn't help but think about my sweet friend Wendi Lynn Roper who lost her fight with depression on August 17, 2010 at the age of 27. 
I met Wendi my Junior Year of college. We had several classes together and shared the common interest of drawing pictures during class, playing MASH until we were in tears from laughing, and helping each other with some of the most unfair things this world can throw at two ladies in their 20's. 

  It was my senior year that I caught Wendi purging in the bathroom during revival at church. She was angry and so embarrassed that her secret was out. I was furious with her and so, so scared for her. Wendi had been struggling with depression and an bulimia for several years. She tried her best to hide it and honestly she was really good at it. The girl always had a smile on her face. It was her goal in life to make you smile. 
Over the next year and half Wendi and I had many talks about food, contentment and past scars.  I saw Wendi go from someone who always hid her true emotions behind her smile to a beautiful person who started loving herself again. The last time I saw Wendi she was so beautiful. She was healthy, and so proud of the hard work she had put into getting herself healthy again.  Somewhere around my senior year Wendi and I lost contact. She had graduated and moved to CA. She was doing so well the last time we talked on the phone. 


If Wendi were here today I would give her a great big hug and thank her for being such an amazing friend to me for a year and half. I would remind her of the time she rolled her hair up in my car window and we laughed until our stomachs hurt. I would tell her that she was stunning. Literally she was so beautiful, ya'll. Her spirit was so giving. I would reminisce with her about our many sleepovers. I would tease her about her lack of cleanliness. Lastly, I would fall to my knees and BEG her to run to Jesus and ask Him to show her the way that HE sees her. 

1 comment:

Mom said...

Even though this was difficult, I am glad that you shared your thoughts and experience with Wendi Lynn.

This is a good reminder that not everybody who smiles, is happy, and that some people are experts at hiding their real feelings.